[Talk-at] EGU mapathon Wien - help needed :)

5 Nachrichten Einstellungen
Antwort | Gesprächsfaden
Diese Nachricht in verschachtelter Ansicht betrachten

[Talk-at] EGU mapathon Wien - help needed :)

Faith Taylor
Hello OSM Austria,

Myself and four colleagues are planning a mapathon at the European Geosciences Union General Assembly in Vienna the week of the 8th-12th April (exact date TBC).

It would be wonderful if some of the OSM Austria team are able to help us in this activity.

Over 10,000 earth scientists attend the conference (although the number at the mapathon will be less - maybe 100 - 200!). Some of them like us will be experienced mappers, others will be quite new to this. We are very excited that this is the first time a mapathon has taken place at the conference.

If this is of interest to you, please do get in touch with me at [hidden email]. My apologies that I do not speak German!

Kindest regards,

Faith
--
Dr Faith Taylor

Lecturer in Geographic Information Science
University of Portsmouth

+44 (0)23 9284 2477

Recent papers:
Dodman, D., Adelekan, I., Brown, D., Leck, H., Manda, M., Mberu, M., Pelling, M., Rusca, M., Satterthwaite, D., Taylor, FE (2018) 'A Spectrum of Methods for a Spectrum of Risk: Generating Evidence to Understand and Reduce Urban Risk in Sub-Saharan Africa' Areahttps://doi.org/10.1111/area.12510

Taylor, FE, Malamud, BD, Witt, A., Guzzetti, F. (2018) 'Landslide Ellipticity, Shape and Length to Width Ratio' Earth Surface Processes and Landforms. Free read-only version available here: https://rdcu.be/9BHa

Antwort | Gesprächsfaden
Diese Nachricht in verschachtelter Ansicht betrachten

Re: [Talk-at] EGU mapathon Wien - help needed :)

Stefan Tauner
On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 16:34:32 +0000
Faith Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello OSM Austria,
>
> Myself and four colleagues are planning a mapathon at the European
> Geosciences Union General Assembly in Vienna the week of the 8th-12th April
> (exact date TBC).
>
> It would be wonderful if some of the OSM Austria team are able to help us
> in this activity.
>
> Over 10,000 earth scientists attend the conference (although the number at
> the mapathon will be less - maybe 100 - 200!). Some of them like us will be
> experienced mappers, others will be quite new to this. We are very excited
> that this is the first time a mapathon has taken place at the conference.

Hi Faith,

I probably won't attend or help out but I was still wondering if the
mapathon has some kind of topic already or if it is more like a general
OSM (introdcution) workshop. Knowing the general direction of the event
might spark more interesting ;)

Antwort | Gesprächsfaden
Diese Nachricht in verschachtelter Ansicht betrachten

Re: [Talk-at] EGU mapathon Wien - help needed :)

Faith Taylor
Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your interest. A mapathon is a mapping party ('mapping marathon'). These are quite popular in London: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAcsCmvG2hs

A group gets together to work on mapping an area through the HOT Tasking Manager, and usually pizza is served :)

If these don't already, it would be great if these were a regular event in Austria. They are a good way to meet other people interested in GIS and OSM.

Best wishes,

Faith

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 at 17:28, Stefan Tauner <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 16:34:32 +0000
Faith Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello OSM Austria,
>
> Myself and four colleagues are planning a mapathon at the European
> Geosciences Union General Assembly in Vienna the week of the 8th-12th April
> (exact date TBC).
>
> It would be wonderful if some of the OSM Austria team are able to help us
> in this activity.
>
> Over 10,000 earth scientists attend the conference (although the number at
> the mapathon will be less - maybe 100 - 200!). Some of them like us will be
> experienced mappers, others will be quite new to this. We are very excited
> that this is the first time a mapathon has taken place at the conference.

Hi Faith,

I probably won't attend or help out but I was still wondering if the
mapathon has some kind of topic already or if it is more like a general
OSM (introdcution) workshop. Knowing the general direction of the event
might spark more interesting ;)

Dr Faith Taylor

Lecturer in Geographic Information Science
University of Portsmouth

+44 (0)23 9284 2477

Recent papers:
Dodman, D., Adelekan, I., Brown, D., Leck, H., Manda, M., Mberu, M., Pelling, M., Rusca, M., Satterthwaite, D., Taylor, FE (2018) 'A Spectrum of Methods for a Spectrum of Risk: Generating Evidence to Understand and Reduce Urban Risk in Sub-Saharan Africa' Areahttps://doi.org/10.1111/area.12510

Taylor, FE, Malamud, BD, Witt, A., Guzzetti, F. (2018) 'Landslide Ellipticity, Shape and Length to Width Ratio' Earth Surface Processes and Landforms. Free read-only version available here: https://rdcu.be/9BHa

Antwort | Gesprächsfaden
Diese Nachricht in verschachtelter Ansicht betrachten

Re: [Talk-at] EGU mapathon Wien - help needed :)

Andreas Voit
Hi Faith,

Stefan asked for the topic of the mapathon and not what it is. There
were few mapathons in Austria in the past.

I only attended one which was organized by the Red Cross organisation
and we had to map some place at Ethiopia for a water ressource project.

Kind regards
Andreas as Geologist

Am 28.01.19 um 10:02 schrieb Faith Taylor:

> [...]
> Reduce Urban Risk in Sub-Saharan Africa'
> /Area/, https://doi.org/10.1111/area.12510
>
> Taylor, FE, Malamud, BD, Witt, A., Guzzetti, F. (2018) 'Landslide
> Ellipticity, Shape and Length to Width Ratio' /Earth Surface Processes
> and Landforms/. Free read-only version available
> here: https://rdcu.be/9BHa
> <http://em.rdcu.be/wf/click?upn=lMZy1lernSJ7apc5DgYM8bRf3hn7zaNsWCyl4n9oyIY-3D_jKM7w0C95uGRDpHNQQ-2BK7JFVtU-2FdjCHKtvHK6mBow-2FXb2wfJN4wdhxrPy1baJlvAu5-2F1VaKmsFjDOQcq8Phf1nUkrs2eqN3OAbNJ0T2cR05R22vKMgW1DMQwyNUs013vGj0gQdLfwhky8l8oY6WwDhiJClMw9JP-2BbW1MKfsQQyzskcWO8juBlrLdqcGiCC-2FW-2BS6ZvjvjO9iix6X-2FCAmfNzCHKaoPzrtfPNR5DdZF8595fsxkdJpCCOF6hPwobu5HJED0uZZaCXUoAVWx2wX2Fg-3D-3D

Antwort | Gesprächsfaden
Diese Nachricht in verschachtelter Ansicht betrachten

Re: [Talk-at] EGU mapathon Wien - help needed :)

Oops sorry I misinterpreted your email Stefan - hope I didn't cause offence :)!

We haven't set a task yet - suggestions welcome. If there is an active beginner task on the HOT Tasking manager, we may do this. Or maybe some parts of Northern Malawi where I work on risk from natural hazards like earthquakes (through the Teach OSM tasking manager).

Best wishes,

Faith