[Talk-at] Missing Maps mapathon, November 7th at Austrian Red Cross!

3 Nachrichten Einstellungen
Antwort | Gesprächsfaden
Diese Nachricht in verschachtelter Ansicht betrachten

[Talk-at] Missing Maps mapathon, November 7th at Austrian Red Cross!

Martin Noblecourt

Dear OSM Austria community members,

Sorry for the late warning (and for posting in English!): the mapping NGO CartONG, the Austrian Red Cross and Doctors without Borders-Austria are organizing a Missing Maps mapathon next Monday from 3 to 6PM at the ARC HQ in Vienna.

The aim of the Missing Maps Project is to map the most crisis-prone parts of the developing world. With your help we can directly improve the lives of some of the planet’s most vulnerable people. Mapathons are a great opportunity to get new people to discover OpenStreetMap, so we always encourage the local OSM members to come and help us train these new contributors - it can also be an opportunity to present your local activities! We will be mapping Zimbabwe to support MSF's operations.

Registrations are available here (free but recommended): https://www.eventbrite.fr/e/billets-missing-maps-vienna-austria-7th-of-november-29077083339

More information on the even in German are available on MSF's website: https://www.aerzte-ohne-grenzen.at/event/1-oesterreichischer-mapathon

Hope to see some of you on Monday!
--
CartONG

Martin Noblecourt

Email: [hidden email]
Phone: +33 (0)4 79 26 28 82
Mobile: +33 (0)6 04 09 74 19
Skype: martin.noblecourt

Humanitarian mapping and information management

Website: cartong.org | Twitter: @assocCartONG | Address: Chambéry, France

Lon: 05°55'24'' | Lat: 45°30'20''

Antwort | Gesprächsfaden
Diese Nachricht in verschachtelter Ansicht betrachten

Re: [Talk-at] Missing Maps mapathon, November 7th at Austrian Red Cross!

Frederik Ramm
Hi,

On 11/04/2016 02:45 PM, Martin Noblecourt wrote:
> Sorry for the late warning (and for posting in English!): the mapping
> NGO CartONG, the Austrian Red Cross and Doctors without Borders-Austria
> are organizing a *Missing Maps mapathon **next Monday from 3 to 6PM at
> the ARC HQ in Vienna*.
>
> The aim of the Missing Maps Project is to map the most crisis-prone
> parts of the developing world. With your help we can directly improve
> the lives of some of the planet’s most vulnerable people. Mapathons are
> a great opportunity to get new people to discover OpenStreetMap,

I think Mapathons are a terrible way to introduce new people to
OpenStreetMap. They don't help OpenStreetMap, and most importantly, they
don't help the "vulnerable people" that the organizers keep banging on
about.

Quality mapping requires good on-the-ground knowledge, but these
so-called "Mapathons" are mostly organised with armchair mapping in
mind. Newcomers are given the impression that they can pick up the
necessary training in a couple hours and already help save lives in
areas they have never set foot in. This lead to poor results - as
illustrated by Pierre Beland just a few minutes ago here

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/2016-November/012673.html

but still we hear of "Mapathons" all over the place where people are
given an entirely wrong picture of what OpenStreetMap is about and are
misled into thinking that you can do good with a couple hours of tracing
buildings.

This is not the kind outreach that will make OpenStreetMap a better map,
this is just using OpenStreetMap for show.

Bye
Frederik

Antwort | Gesprächsfaden
Diese Nachricht in verschachtelter Ansicht betrachten

Re: [Talk-at] Missing Maps mapathon, November 7th at Austrian Red Cross!

Andreas Voit
Am 2016-11-07 um 01:19 schrieb Frederik Ramm:

> Hi,
>
> On 11/04/2016 02:45 PM, Martin Noblecourt wrote:
>> Sorry for the late warning (and for posting in English!): the mapping
>> NGO CartONG, the Austrian Red Cross and Doctors without Borders-Austria
>> are organizing a *Missing Maps mapathon **next Monday from 3 to 6PM at
>> the ARC HQ in Vienna*.
>>
>> The aim of the Missing Maps Project is to map the most crisis-prone
>> parts of the developing world. With your help we can directly improve
>> the lives of some of the planet’s most vulnerable people. Mapathons are
>> a great opportunity to get new people to discover OpenStreetMap,
>
> I think Mapathons are a terrible way to introduce new people to
> OpenStreetMap. They don't help OpenStreetMap, and most importantly, they
> don't help the "vulnerable people" that the organizers keep banging on
> about.
>
> Quality mapping requires good on-the-ground knowledge, but these
> so-called "Mapathons" are mostly organised with armchair mapping in
> mind. Newcomers are given the impression that they can pick up the
> necessary training in a couple hours and already help save lives in
> areas they have never set foot in. This lead to poor results - as
> illustrated by Pierre Beland just a few minutes ago here
>
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/2016-November/012673.html

In my opinion "Mapathons" are not the problem. The quality issues you
have mentioned depend on how they were organized. As in the linked post
described, there are too few validation processes.

But I guess, when the organisator of a mapathon is well prepared and the
volunteers are good trained by doing some tutorials and someone shows
them what are the common faults, it could improve OSM

But in my opinion data quality is a main issue in OSM. You also find bad
tagging or geometry faults in europe too.

> but still we hear of "Mapathons" all over the place where people are
> given an entirely wrong picture of what OpenStreetMap is about and are
> misled into thinking that you can do good with a couple hours of tracing
> buildings.
>
> This is not the kind outreach that will make OpenStreetMap a better map,
> this is just using OpenStreetMap for show.
>
> Bye
> Frederik

Geologist